I debated what to call this first post on a new blog in a new year. Usually, I name them after I write them. So what to write about?
- Well, I would want to point out this is a new blog but I am not new to blogging.
- Preview what a reader may expect to find here and how often.
- Establish credentials so that I’m not blathering on about something I know nothing about.
- Emphasize the reason for me getting back to blogging and why that’s important.
- Create the sense of openness, candor and authenticity
- Not talk all about my job much and never mention clients
One. I used to have a blog called FalseNorthing.com from 2010-2014. It was a therapy of sorts for a job that was OK but suddenly got tough due to circumstance out of my control. I left that job and eventually the blog kinda fell away. Last year I finally stopped paying for the URL.
Two. My Goal, Resolution or Intention (whichever you like) is to have 50 Posts a year. They will, most likely, not be this long but will be one of the following categories: Apple, GIS, Life Maps, School, Tech. (not in that order)
Three. You can refer to my LinkedIn profile for specifics on me.
Four. I am picking up blogging again because I enjoy it and have a lot of opinions about this Geo-industry, Tech, Life and kind of see it as an obligation to lend lessons I have learned to the community at large. It may seem pretentious but I have gray hair and insights. (See Quotes on “Knowledge Hoarding”)
Five. All of my Posts will be barely edited and gut-level. Beware.
Six. I work with many local governments, Esri employees, private sector folks. I will not talk about specific clients or people at work. That’s unprofessional and you can feel free to call me out if you feel I cross a line of trust or improperness. Work projects or technology might get mentioned because it’s a full 1/3 of my life’s time.
Back to the Title ‘Moving Forward’. I am a big proponent of learning from the past but NOT reliving it or even wishing for it. (Star Wars 7 & 8 are for the Kids, let them have it) I may have archived my Blog as a PDF but I didn’t want to resurrect it because I’m Moving Forward.